Monday, June 23, 2008

OUR NEIGHBORHOOD RINOK











Going to the rinok to get fresh fruits and vegetables is more frequent since summer is here.  Even though it doesn't feel like summer because it is so cool, we are enjoying the great tasting summer produce.  I thought I would share with you our trip to the rinok today.  Don't worry---I would never allow President Collins to buy meat from the open-unrefrigerated counter, but I thought you might like to check out the butcher's cutting tool.  I had to get a picture of the fish and caviar that is so Russian and the wild mushrooms that missionaries are not allowed to eat because many people die from mushroom poisoning every summer.  We have made friends with many of the vendors, but this couple is our favorite.  I think they are from Tajikistan.  So nice.  I love to hear them try out their English on us.  After soaking everything in clorox and then rinsing them in filtered water we can enjoy eating our purchases.  YUM!  You can't believe how good fresh salsa is with these tomatoes.  Well--Ashly could.  After living in Budapest she knows what I'm talking about.  Have a good day.  ILYT oxoxo  Sorry there are two fish pictures (by the way missionaries aren't allowed to eat fish either).  One of the fish pictures was suppose to be of the open containers of spices, but I can't figure out how to delete just one picture and I don't want to redo the whole post.  Like Natalie always tells her kids---"you get what you get, don't throw a fit".  

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I love that homemade salsa and can't wait to get some soon. That couple looks so nice. I'm glad you don't buy that meat.

Ned and Erin + kids said...

Why not try some of the meat. The huge pig head looked pretty good when i was there. That fresh fruit looks pretty tasty too. You know we loved the little cucumbers. Well at least my girls did.

Ashly said...

im so proud of your photog skills mom! way to go! so sorry i was giving dad thee credit when all along i should have been giving it to you! you need to get an slr and take some photography classes with me when you get home and move to NYC to live by me! :)

Ashly said...

oh and i sure do wish that daddy could bottle up that salsa and send it my way! that would be fantastic!

Amy said...

the meat is nasty, I remember going there.