Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


Dad's cell phone rang at 6:00 a.m. today.  I always get nervous when it rings really early or really late.  I immediately think something is wrong with one of our missionaries.  It was President Gibbons from our area presidency.  He told Dad that President Hinckley had passed away.  Even though our beloved Prophet was 97 1/2 I still wasn't prepared.  Oh, how I will miss him.  Besides having all of the qualities that every Prophet has had, I will always remember and admire his sense of humor, wit and his optimism.  He is my example of being positive and I refer to his poem that was in the funeral program of his sweetheart, Marjorie, often--especially since I have been here in Moscow.  It's called  "Put Your Trust in God"
It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is,
It all works out.  Don't worry.
I say that to myself every morning.
It will all work out.
Put your trust in God,
and move forward with faith
and confidence in the future.
The Lord will not forsake us.
He will not forsake us.
If we put our trust in Him,
if we will pray to Him,
if we will live worthy of His blessings,
He will hear our prayers.
I'm sure he has had many joyous reunions--especially with his Marjorie.   He is the only Prophet the Russians know.  They will have a hard time with his death.  He will be missed by all.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

So sad for us, so happy for him! I too have loved his thoughts you quoted about being positive! I think about it a lot (especially when I'm dealing with Garrett). I heard someone say "I'll forever be grateful for the small man with the big voice!" We are so blessed to have had him as our leader! Love you, girl!

Lana and Terry said...

Thank you for your very appropriate comments on our dear prophet, Pres. Hinckley. We received several calls last night just as our kids were leaving. (We had a Jan. birthday dinner for Emery, Dave, and Holly.) We were all so sad to hear the news but so happy for him. Like Bonnie said, what a joyous reunion he must be having in heaven with his dear Marjorie and all of his other family members. We will surely miss him. He definitely had a gift for touching lives and moving the church forward!! Hugs!!